That title comes from a movie I watched with my daughter last week, Mr. Magorium’s Wonder Emporium. (If you have kids, rent it and watch it with them!) While waiting for a clock-store prank to unfold, his co-hort says, “Ok, now we wait–exactly 37 seconds…” To which Magorium replies incredulously, “Wait??? NOOOO!!!–We breathe. We pulse. We regenerate–Our hearts beat. Our minds create. Our souls ingest. 37 seconds well-used is a LIFETIME.”
And the moment he says the last word, all the clock alarms in the clock store chime together, like punctuation. Magorium and friend delight in the noise–and their mischief–and you’re reminded of being a kid…
But what can you do now, really, with 37 seconds?
Hmmm. If we only consider health and fitness, you can:
- Hold your navel to your spine, for an isometric crunch…or use the time to do 3 or 4 of them for reps! You can do this sitting in your chair, driving your car, waiting in line…
- Read the ingredients on that package you’re considering eating…is this clean food? Ask yourself if you really want this in your body. If so, commit to it. If not, do something about it.
- Give yourself a back-of-the-neck rub
- If you’re sitting at work, stand up and stretch your body. Reach your arms to the sky, lengthen your spine (you can always squeeze your ab here!), and take a deep breath. Release your breath slowly, bring your outstretched arms down, let your vertebrae settle in where they belong, and then if you have 15 seconds left, do it again!
- Get a glass of water and drink some. Put the rest nearby to sip on.
- Look away from your work. Focus on a distant spot for a few seconds. With the remaining seconds, move your eyes around as much as possible. Blink. A lot.
- Make a list of things to do next time you have 37 seconds to use.
- When you can think of nothing else to do, take a deep breath. Through your nose. (This activates nerve endings in the nose which calm the brain.)
That should get things started.
What would you do with 37 seconds? Send us your list.
The 37-seconds it takes us to read it will be well-used!